Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Some Good News Re - PZ Myers and Orthodox Science?

In April of 2005 Universty of Minnesota biologist, PZ Myers pubished the following statement in response to a readers call to "tone down the (anti ID) rhetoric"..

“I say it is time for scientists to break out the brass knuckles and steel toed boots and hammer (PZ's emphasis, not mine) on the lunatics and idiots.”


PZ's anti-ID statement used to be found HERE but it is now missing. I take this as a good sign. The reason that this troubled me is that in the following year 2006 Nature Magazine (possibly the worlds #1 science magazine) voted PZ's blog "Pharyngula" (where the comment appeared) the number one science blog in the entire world! This convinced me that violence and/or threats of violence are OK with the scientific community just as long they are directed at people like me (I.E. people who doubt Darwinian macro-evolution and propose intelligent design instead). This chain of events came as quite a shock to me. I expected much better from orthodox science. Hopefully we are now seeing orthodox science backing down from such threats.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well gee, I think we all know how much that statement would've added to the fire. ;D

PZ seems like he takes his personal emotions more importantly then his public relations with the people that matter most.

William Brookfield said...

Well, I guess I was wrong, the article is back up again.

Can anyone tell me when exactly it was that brass knuckles and steel toed boots became tools of science?

And what about test tubes, microscopes and telescopes? Are they still considered "tools of science" or have they been replaced?

William Brookfield said...

I would just like to add that I am not a fan of George Bush and I never supported the war in Iraq. However, I also do not support the notion of scientists using brass knuckle and steel toes boots in support of Darwinism -- or any other theory of science. This is where PZ and I differ.